Did you ever thing, it was good to have possibility to connect external microphone to your cam? I want to show you, how you can add external mic port for your Xiaomi Yi cam. This description guide you picture by picture of every step of this modification. The most important thing was to get functionality of switching function from internal (built-in mic) to external mic via 3.5 mm audio jack socket and plug.
I though about this modification for few last months, but I hadn’t tools because I was living in abroad, so I had to leave this on some time.
Until now,after that when I comeback to home, I started looking for solutions of other Xiaomi YI owners. But I wasn’t enough happy with solutions which I found. So I started looking for information which type of socket will be perfectly suitable to my idea of this modification. And I found this two videos:
I asked autor of this video about the type of socket which he use in his modification. I got this answer:
I tried buy one in few GSM services, but it was impossible to get any. So I was back to uncle google and fortunately I found few and buy one on this auction:
I bought one and after more or less one and half week, when I receive it I could start do this job. This socket has few pin and pads for surface and through hole montage (half/half). This socket has 6 pins, left, right channel and additional microphone pin.
If you look on pin pads surface from plug side, on left side you can see:
- first pin – ground
- second pin – right channel audio – you have to use this pin to connect microphone + pad because cam has only mono mic
- third pin is second pin for right channel (it was disconnected after plug jack is plugged) – you don’t use this pin, because cam has only mono mic
and if you look on pin pads surface from plug side, on right side you can see:
- first pin of microphone (when plug is disconnected) is touched to ground pin
- second pin – left channel audio – we use this pin for connect with “+” pad on the mainboard
- third pin its left channel audio (this pin is connected with second, but when you connect plug is disconnected) when you connect plug, this pis is disconnected but plug pin one is connected with pin two of socket. For this third pin we solder “+” of original mic.
Below you can see diagram of connection. For this job I use two cables red(signal “+”) and blue (ground).
Preparing of socket. you should do few things for modification this socket for fitting perfectly in to Xiaomi YI case, without any drop of glue. I suggest use for connection cables with isolation, but you shouldn’t use cable from old earnings because this cable has isolation only on surface on copper (it looks like painting on surface), but you can use cable the same type like in original Xioaomi YI solution (old earnings are broke because cables are made for broke after some time, and you have to buy another new one).
Very similar socket I found here:
It isn’t original Blackberry socket, but it can be suitable.
If we look on this drowing:
it looks almost the same. Dimensions: 12 mm long + 2 mm for whole circle, wide 6,25 mm and height 4,4 mm made this socked suitable perfectly for this job.
Description of modifications
I added many photos for show the best description of every step of this job.
- you need knife with this tip shape for easy way to remove material
- dremel you use this tool for drilling and milling, you need 5 mm bit for drilling final whole.
- I built this soldering station many years ago, but you can use the simple soldering iron
- You shouldn’t use this type tool, like below…
- You have to remove step by step material from inside of this case, not to much for one time, because you can’t back time, if you do this carefully and be patient and checking from time to time fitting of socket you will get success. Remember about it
- first fitting is up side down because you have to prepare pin side of socket for final fitting
- step by step slowly material is missing, try to get this shape in case (of course if you want to get socked in this place)
- time to first drill whole for jack whole, you should use small bit because probably you have move this whole to correct position
- You have to remember socket should touch case on ful surface with every sides, if you do this right you don’t have to use glue for mounting socked.
- almost fit perfectly
- You have to work more with touching sides
- new place for original internal mic, you move it a bit on the left side form socket mor or less 2-3 mm
- last few photos show how should look final of your job
- when socket is fitting perfectly, looks like that
- Socked should protrude like this, this is sign is fitting perfectly
- You have to remove this part of metal chassis
- we remove it up to this line, this element should do one surface with mainboard
- final fitting
- you have to remove this plastics pins
- connection diagram
- remember about insulation
- metal chassis made one surface with mainboard
- after soldering check right of connections use for this tool (diode test)
- final fitting
- remember about isolation cables and isolation metal parts of mainboard because it can be do short-circuit with socket cables and metal parts and it can be broke your cam, be relay carefully
- final fitting a screwing, if you do everything right, mainboard should sit on his screw holes without force and without bouncing
- if you se now this result congratulation – you can make yourself drink 🙂 Enjoy with your external mic port.
Please left comment if you like on not, it can be seen after moderation, it’s spam protection.